Service History of the 22nd MVI
* Special Order, No. 483 creates 22nd Regiment, Sept.28, 1861.
* 22nd leaves Camp Schouler, Massachusetts, October 8, 1861.
* Duty at Hall's Hill, Virginia.
* Defense of Washington until March 9, 1862.
* Advance on Manassas, VA., March 10-16.
* Moved to Alexandria, thence to Fortress Monroe, VA., March 16-23.
* Warwick Road, April 5.
* Siege of Yorktown, April 5-May 4.
* Hanover C. H., May 27.
* Operations about Hanover C. H., May 27-29.
* Seven days before Richmond, June 25-July 1.
* Mechanicsville, June 26.
* Gaines' Mill, June 27.
* White Oak Swamp and Turkey Bridge, June 30.
* Malvern Hill, July 1.
* At Ball's Bluff until August 15.
* Retreat from the Peninsula and movement to Centreville, August 15-28.
* Second Battle of Bull Run, August 30.
* Battle of Antietam, Md., September 16-17.
* Shepherdstown, September 19.
* At Sharpsburg until October 30.
* Movement to Falmouth, VA, October 30-November 19.
* Battle of Fredericksburg, VA, December 12-15.
* Expedition to Richards' and Ellis' Fords, December 29-30.
* "Mud March," January 20-24
* At Falmouth until April 27.
* Chancellorsville Campaign April 27-May 6.
* Battle of Chancellorsville, May 1-5.
* Gettysburg (Pa.) Campaign, June 11-July 24.
* Battle of Gettysburg, engaged July 2-4.
* At Warrenton and Beverly Ford until September 17.
* At Culpeper until, October 11.
* Bristoe Campaign, October 11-22.
* Advance to line of the Rappahannock, November 7-8.
* Rappahannock Station, November 7.
* Mine Run Campaign, November 26-December 2.
* At Beverly Ford until May, 1864.
* Campaign from the Rapidan to the James, May-June.
* Battles of the Wilderness, May 5-7.
* Laurel Hill, May 8.
* Spotsylvania, May 8-12.
* Spotsylvania Court House, May 12-21.
* Assault on the Salient, May 12.
* North Anna River, May 23-26.
* Line of the Pamunkey, May 26-28.
* Totopotomoy, May 28-31.
* Cold Harbor, June 1-12.
* Bethesda Church, June 1-3.
* Before Petersburg, June 16-18.
* Siege of Petersburg, June 16 to August 8.
* Relieved August 8
* Guard duty at City Point until October 5.
* Mustered out October 17, 1864.
The regiment lost during service 9 Officers and 207 Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded and 1 Officer and 102 Enlisted men by disease.
* Regimental History
* Four Brothers in Blue
* NPS CWSS
* MSS of the CW