top of page

Woburn Weekly Budget - April 11, 1862


Near Yorktown, Va.
April 11, 1862

I noticed by the papers that the Mass. 22d regiment planted the stars and stripes at Washington, N.C. and that our camp was shelled in some place, and a Capt. Savage wounded. Both these are incorrect. as we have never been nearer North Carolina than Old Point Comfort, and there is not Capt. Savage in the regiment.

Just after I finished my last letter on Sunday evening, the rebels sent a shell screaming over our encampment, striking the ground about a quarter of a mile in the rear of our brigade. It was an 84 pound shell, but did not explode. Cos D., E. and H. went out on picket the same evening, in the direction of the fort that commands the Yorktown road we traveled to this place. Our sharpshooters went with them and there was some skirmishing during the night. The rebels came out and were perceived by our men, who shot one of them through the breast. He was brought in and cared for by our surgeon. He belonged to the Mississippi "wild cat" regiment, and gave his name as Frederick Oscola.


Prof. Low was reconoitering with his balloon, and it is thought that Gen. Keyes had cut off rebel communication with Richmond.

Monday morning was gloomy, and promised rain, so the boys who had not done so on the previous evening, piched their tents. There was no engagement from our side, and with the exception of the occaisonal booming of cannon, and the distant rattle of muskets on the outposts, we passed a quiet day. The rebel fort is plainly visible from the hill behind which we are encamped. A faded regimental flag flies from a house inside the works, and the rebels can be seen with a field glass. During Sunday night the Mass. 9th threw up earthwork near their camp, which will be used against the rebels. It rained very hard from Monday noon till near noon on Tuesday, making it very uncomfortable for the pickets. About dark on Tuesday it began to rain again, and poured down in torrents all night. Now and then the rebels would send along a shell, to which our batteries would occaisonally reply. Monday night the 13th N.Y. were on picket, and Tuesday night the 2nd Maine went out. Wednesday was rainy and disagreeable. During the day the rebels tried theor range on us, sending shells very near our quarters. About ten o'clock, after we had turned in, the orders was whispered from tent to tent to fall in. We turned out as silently as possible, formed line, and found the regiments all about us were under arms. We loaded our rifles and remained drawn up about an hour, when we were ordered back. The cause of the alarm was the report which came in from the 2d Me. that they anticipated an attack from the rebels. The 5th Michigan went out and relieved them, and the divsion quited down. Thursday morning the weather cleared up, and at noon we were ordered back a mile and a half and camped on a small branch of the York river. We have a very good place, out of shell reach. Cos. C., F., I. and K. go out on picket this morning, and I am obliged to close this in haste and go.

John Lord Parker

bottom of page